Monday 6 August 2018

How to pull off confidence-boosting colour.

 Photo: Claire Pepper

Once wedded to her black skinny jeans, Stacey Duguid has come over all colourful. But how, exactly, do you wear rainbow brights?

Hardly anyone I know, including me, wears head-to-toe black anymore. When did that happen? What was once a wardrobe failsafe feels like it’s slipping out of favour – the British high street is currently a miasma of colour, and sales of brights are up. John Lewis reports that sales of bottle green dresses have overtaken black dresses. As colourful clothes creep into our wardrobes, are we finally giving up on black, navy and all things neutral?  

Acid-trip brights were all over the catwalk and, as a result, John Lewis, Zara, Boden and Mango, to name but a few, are jammed to the rafters with clothes and accessories in zesty, mood-boosting colours. But, still, I’m not quite willing to totally leave my comfort-zone black on a permanent basis. I mean, nothing comes between me and my black jeans; I feel confident in them, I don’t worry what I look like in them, I just get up, put them on and go. Still, I wouldn’t wear black jeans with a black top – not since bold, bright colours made their way into my wardrobe and I discovered that colour looks softer next to my fortysomething face (ditto, metallics – see last month’s blog). I can’t get enough of splashy tomato-red and am coming round to the green mixed with lilac combination that seems to be everywhere at the moment. Having said that, I will continue to dodge the putrid purple that reared its semi-ugly head at some point a few months ago. Too Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.


By Stacey Duguid.
Full story at The Pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment