Thursday 15 November 2018

All I Want to Wear Are Shades of Sweet Brown.

Photo: Bailey M. Kircher

My obsession with the color brown started with Jacquemus’ spring 2018 collection. It was the runway show that spawned a thousand trends: the micro mini bags that only fits one lipstick, the gigantic straw hat that brought new meaning to UV protection, the beaded asymmetrical earringsmy boss couldn’t stop obsessing over. But it was the colors that stuck with me the most, especially the rich, dimensional shades of brown.

These browns have names like “chocolate” and “chestnut” and “mocha.” They’re rich, decadent, and warm and delicious; I like to think of them collectively as “sweet browns.” For a spring show, during a season when everyone else is showing a palette of florals and pastels, they felt appealingly unusual. There was something effortless but surprising about them that captured the spirit of Simon Jacquemus’s whimsical cool girl.

I made it my mission to build my entire fall wardrobe around the color. But while hunting down brown coats, brown boots, and brown pants and skirts, I realized I wasn’t alone — brown had become an industry trend across brands high and low. Brown as a neutral during the cooler months isn’t a novel idea by any stretch, but with this particular rich shade trickling into fast-fashion brands like Zara and Mango and other contemporary labels like Staud and By Far, it feels like it’s officially a fashion moment.



By India Brown.
Full story at The Cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment